|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
Formby Beach is ideal for families, with a large car park, picnic areas and waymarked paths to the beach, dunes and woods.
The high dunes afford excellent views across the Irish Sea and on clear days after rain, even the mountains of Cumbria can be seen.
The coast here is undergoing erosion and the tides often reveal prehistoric mud layers, some of which contain human and animal footprints. Look out for these the length of Formby Beach from Lifeboat Road northwards of the National Trust property.
The dune slacks are important for the Natterjack Toad, a nationally endangered amphibian. The many different habitats around Lifeboat Road provide homes and food for a wide variety of insects including moths and butterflies and for birds. The woodlands are managed to improve the habitat for our native Red Squirrel.
Lifeboat Road is an excellent place to start your exploration of Sefton’s Natural Coast. The 150 acre (60ha) site has a wide sandy beach, high dunes, furrowed grassland (former asparagus fields) and a belt of pinewoods.
If you fancy exploring more off the beaten track, a walk to the south through Ravenmeols Sandhills will reward you with wide expanses of dunes, even more beach, pleasant woodlands and relics of past developments.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good108
- Mark ODarwen, United KingdomFamily tripTuesday, 21st February 2017A great beach to take a walk with your dog, apart from one small area that as some some masonery the rest of the beach is golden sand with a good stretch to the sea Read full review
- EJMellorTrip Type:FamilyAlways a treatMonday, 20th February 2017Can never get fed up of going here. Beautiful surroundings a nice walk to the beach. Our secret escape! Read full review
- gloria381Stockport, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFantastic day out!Monday, 13th February 2017Visited Formby Beach with my family on a clear crisp Sunday morning last weekend. We took my daughter's horse. Great beach for galloping down and blowing away cobwebs! Parked at Lifeboat Road car... Read full review
Map & Directions
Formby beach can be accessed via Victoria Road or Lifeboat Road. Parking is available.
Public Transport Directions
Northern Line – Formby Station 1 mile.
For local bus services, contact Merseytravel.
- Beach Awards Quality Coast Award 2012
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|